Top of Page
Last update May 2008
gb_flag.gif aussie%20flag%20sm.gif
Join our Club
Click on Logo
healeyvic007015.jpg healeyvic007014.jpg
Members Login
Club Photos
For Sale & Wanted
2020 National Rally
Club Awards
Magazine Advertisers
About our Club
healeyvic007013.jpg healeyvic007012.jpg healeyvic007011.jpg healeyvic007010.jpg healeyvic007009.jpg healeyvic007008.jpg healeyvic007007.jpg healeyvic007006.jpg healeyvic007005.jpg healeyvic007004.jpg healeyvic007003.jpg healeyvic007002.jpg healeyvic007001.gif

VicRoads Club Permit Scheme

Click Here for printer friendly version

About Club Permits


Financial membership of the Austin Healey owners club offers the opportunity to use the Vicroads Club Permit Scheme, enabling you to drive your Austin Healey for any purpose you wish other than commercial use or financial gain, for 45 or 90 days per annum.  The scheme comes at a significant cost savings compared to full registration, plus 4.2% stamp duty is not applied. A number of insurance companies offer comprehensive insurance at a reduced rate.

There are also responsibilities attached, the key ones being :

-    Number plates and windscreen label must be correctly displayed.

-    The car must be maintained in a ‘safe condition’.

-    A logbook must be carried in the car, and for every day the car is used, an entry must be made in the logbook before leaving the garaged address. (it is easy to forget to do this and police do conduct CPS logbook checks)

-    The permit holder must be a current financial member of the car club, ie you can’t legally drive the car if club membership fees haven’t been paid by the due date of December 31

-    The car cannot be used for the 'carriage of goods or passengers for hire or reward’.

-    Permits are not transferrable so if you sell the vehicle you must notify VicRoads and the club immediately as well as destroy the label, logbook and remove the plates.


Penalties for failing to comply with the conditions of the permit may include significant fines, suspension or expulsion from the CPS and possibly deemed to be driving an unregistered vehicle and all the associated legal consequences. AHOC strongly recommends that all club permit holders familiarise themselves with the conditions of the permit. Full details of CPS are available at 


Procedure to obtain a Club Permit


Click Here to go to the VicRoads website page detailing the procedure for obtaining a club permit. There are a few points to note :

·         Currently Brian Aitken is the AHOC signatory for the Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration form and Club Permit Application form.  Brian is based in Frankston and is contactable on 03 8759 6845 or 0419 025 858  or

·        VicRoads require that the club keep dated photographs of at least the front, driver’s side, rear, driving position (with driver’s door open), chassis number and engine number.  AHOC require that applicants provide these photos, preferably digitally in .jpg file format.   The photos should be at minimum be as per the samples below


Many digital cameras have a date stamp function that can be turned on and off. Most computers also allow you to turn off the function that strips the 'date photo taken' metadata from a .jpg file when it is being emailed.  If your computing skills can manage this, you can probably email the photos to Brian in advance of going to have the documents signed.

·      At the time of signing the Declaration and Application documents, AHOC will also require proof of ownership and certificate of roadworthiness (RWC). VicRoads will also require these documents.  For vehicles modified in excess of VSI 8 or VSI 33, a VASS approval certificate will also be required.

·        Once VicRoads have issued you with a permit, you MUST promptly notify AHOC of your permit details, particularly permit number and expiry date. Contact Brian Aitken on or 03 8759 6845 or 0419 025 858 .


Renewing your Permit


Step 1:    VicRoads should mail you a renewal form and logbook before the existing permit expires.

Step 2:    Verify your AHOC membership is current.

Step 3:   Have renewal form signed by the AHOC. Currently the ‘duly authorised representative’ is Brian Aitken, 59 Sanders Road Frankston South 3199, contact 03 8759 6845 or 0419 025 858 or
Please consider that this is an entirely voluntary position and including a pre-addressed and stamped envelope for the return of the documents would be appreciated.

Step 4:   Submit the signed renewal form to VicRoads and pay the renewal fee. This can be done at any VicRoads Customer Service Centre or mail the signed renewal to VicRoads with payment of the fee, to VicRoads. Postal address is on the form.

                2020 - Temporarily, VicRoads accept renewal by post only   

Step 5:    Apply the new window sticker to the vehicle and carry the new logbook in the vehicle.

Note :      Permits not renewed within 3 months of expiry will be cancelled by VicRoads and a new permit application will be required which includes obtaining an RWC.



Points to note


CPS plates are only manufactured in a maroon background with white characters and there is no choice of numbers.  Age related plates and vanity plates cannot be used on the CPS.


Left hand drive vehicles more than 25 years old may participate in the scheme.


Some States or Territories do not recognize the CPS and require a permit from the registration and licensing authority in that State or Territory to legally drive in that State or Territory.  It is strongly recommended that drivers of CPS vehicles check before driving interstate.


Changes to CPS which came into effect on 31st January 2015


Go to  for full details.


-    For cars built after 1948, a Certificate of Roadworthiness from a VicRoads Licensed Tester is now the only acceptable evidence of the 'safe for on-road use' requirement.

-    Applicants for new club permits will be required to provide proof of ownership.

-    Applicants for new club permits will be required to provide the club with dated photographs of the car.

-    Changes to and clarification of ‘acceptable modifications’.  Recognising that the Vehicle Modifications Guidelines document known as VSI8 is intended for modern cars, a version known as VSI33 specifically for vehicles on CPS has been issued and it defines modifications that can be made without engineering certification dependent on age category of the vehicle in question. In the 1949 to 1968 age category, the types of modifications that might be treated more leniently than previously are not commonly seen on AHOC eligible cars and there are many other types of modifications that are expected to require engineering certification the same as VSI8 which is the long standing CPS rule.

-    Introduction of a new permit category for modified vehicles requiring engineering certification. These will be 5 digits followed by M.


To go to VicRoads website and apply for a CPS, renew a CPS or make changes to an existing CPS or obtain VicRoads forms,  Click Here to go to the VicRoads website.

Last updated 04-Mar-2015
VicRoads Club Permits